Editor’s Note

September 2017

By Emma Wood

Let me introduce myself: I am Stone Soup’s new Editor in Chief. And beginning with the September issue—which marks just the first step in our redesign and revisioning of what the magazine can be—we are embarking on a journey of experimentation, exploration, and change together.

I would like to start by saying that, while I grew up reading the print issue of Stone Soup and, from there, transitioned into a New Yorker subscription to my college dorm, I sincerely believe that no matter how you read a magazine—flipping through glossy printed pages or swiping left and right on a glossy screen—you can still experience the same excitement that I felt as I read and compiled the poems for this transitional September issue, and our first themed issue.

You can see Ashley Class’s “plain wall,” itself a metaphor for the artist’s blank page or canvas. You can hear Kate Choi’s “not-silence,” the sound of the world continuing its business around even as we sit silent and still. You can follow Nargi Golashi’s philosophical train of thought from 1+1=2 to death and mortality. You can lie with Deeba Kord on the “fresh spiky grass with a few flowers circling.” You can inhabit these poems, live in them and through them. That is, after all, the purpose of the written word: to transport us. And the incredible magic of words is that they can transport us no matter where—or on what—we read them.

Though not our first digital issue, this is an issue of many firsts. Our first themed issue. Our first monthly issue. Our first issue that does not feature illustrations, but standalone artwork. Our first issue with photographs. We, as a team, are working to embrace the playfulness of childhood—to see what works, what doesn’t, what to take or toss—and we sincerely hope that you will be in touch with us about our work. What do you love about this issue? What do you wish Stone Soup would publish? You can email me at editor@stonesoup.com. I’d love to hear from you.

Happy reading!
Emma Wood

About the Author