Back to School with Stone Soup

Stone Soup Editors' Notes  /   /  By Michael King 2
November 2018

School has started, the days are getting shorter, and the September/October issue of Stone Soup is arriving in mailboxes all over the world. Did you have a chance to read yours yet? The beautiful cover, by 13-year-old Rajib Roy of Calcutta, India, depicts a fall scene of people going to market to sell their wares. We love how the two swaying  palm trees frame the scene and give it motion. Inside, you’ll find several stories and poems about nature. In “Tranquility Reservoir,” 13-year-old Billy Liptrot has a favorite spot by the water that he returns to in his mind whenever he feels overwhelmed. In “Discovering Opportunities,” 11-year-old Ocyin Davis is inspired by a horse to make changes in her life. The three poems in this issue — “Fall Night,” “The Jewel Case,” and “The Nature Walk” — all talk about nature: twirling fall leaves, shimmering pomegranate seeds, the sweet smell of nighttime dew. For something different, be sure to read the fantasy story “Adrin’s Chase,” by 13-year-old Arden Bastia. A young girl has lost her father to the wolf clan. Now the clan leader sends Adrin on a quest to find the owl diadem. If she fails, her own life will be in danger. Tell us what you think of the new issue. Did it give you some ideas for your own stories, poems, and artwork?

About the Author

Michael works on a wide variety of special projects at Stone Soup.