Planet with Five Suns
Vika Sycheva, 8

A note from the team

William has gone camping in the mountains with his daughter for a couple of weeks, so this week's newsletter comes to you from Emma and Jane.

What I did on my holidays...

When I was at school in Scotland, the first thing we had to do when we got back after the summer vacation was write a short essay all about "what I did on my summer holidays" (we had holidays, not vacations there). It always seemed like a chore, and turned everything we'd done into a dreary, long list of "and thens." But I realize now it doesn't have to be like that!

Maybe we could have treated the assignment as an invitation to write a short screenplay, or a journal entry about a single fabulous day, or a postcard or letter to a friend. What if we'd decided to write poem about just one thing that had happened: how it was on a rainy day in a sunny place, or a hot day in a cold place? We could have focused on a special trip; or someone new we'd seen or met; or even just on what it was like to do not much at all in a new place, or even be at home all day.

I'm sure all our Stone Soup readers already have lots of creative ideas about how to celebrate and commemorate things they're doing this summer. We'd love to hear some of them, and see your artwork too.

Send us the short pieces you've written, drawn, or photographed telling us who you are and where you've been, and we'll make a Stone Soup Summer Album on our website with a selection of them. We can't wait to hear what you all did on your summer holidays at newsletter@stonesoup.com!

Until next week,

Jane

Do you want to blog for Stone Soup?

We are excited to announce that we are actively looking for writers to contribute regularly to our blog! Do you have a lot to say about a single topic—sports, fashion, art, writing, books, music, animals, science, theater, travel, crafting, movies, tv shows, video games, something else? Would you be able to commit to writing for us once a month? If so, we want to hear from you!

Please write a sample post, between 350-600 words, and submit it here. A blog post can be many different things. It can be a review, a reflection, a story, a how-to, an opinion piece, or an account. It can include pictures, diagrams, videos, maps, comics—you name it!

Until next week

Emma

From Stone Soup
May/June 2017

As Seen From Above

By Jem Burch, 13

Hundreds of feet in the air, the world is
In miniature, a scale model made of tinfoil, cardboard, and glue
The green water ocean is so smooth you could walk on it
Haloed by a ring of white foam, tiny islands poke out of the sea
They’re so small none of them have a name
You could be the first to conquer them, call them your own
more