The book The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy, is a book about friendship, love, and accepting each other. There really is not much of a story line, but you do learn so much about all of these characters.

“One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things.” (Excerpt from when the mole is talking to the boy.)

The horse just wants to be accepted for who he is. The boy thinks he is ordinary but loves love. The mole loves cake ...and cake. And, the fox just thinks he has nothing interesting to say. Together, they learn that love can bring them together and that friendship can show love. And, they find out how friendship can bring them together. They teach the readers all about it, as well.

The characters teach how friendship can show love and how love is friendship. The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse is a very positive book and it’s a quick read. This book is for all ages, no matter how young or how old you are. The story radiates positivity and would make you happy any old day. As well as being positive, it also has a good motto: Even if you do think that you’re ordinary, you do not need to change. Being ordinary or strange in a certain way can be good.

This book has a lot of pictures. The art is so much fun to interpret as you read into its unique style of pictures and text. The text in the book is kind of like cursive but sort of looks like someone hand wrote it? Maybe someone did! Lastly, I think this is a great book for anyone to pass around friend to friend as I received it from my neighbor yesterday (wrapped in a sterile bag to protect my grandfather, parents and I in case of any transmission of Covid-19.)

Now I am going to try to draw a cat and dog in Mr. Mackesy style!

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy. HarperOne, 2019. Buy the book here and support Stone Soup in the process!