The Stone Soup Project

Stone Soup Editors' Notes  /   /  By William Rubel
November 2018

Creative writing by children is at the center of Stone Soup Magazine and all its related activities, including books by kids, journals and sketchbooks, and beautiful prints of children’s art. Taken together, Stone Soup offers what you need to encourage the children in your life to read and to use writing and art for self-expression. As the leading publisher of creative writing by children for over forty years, Stone Soup has helped generations of children reach their creative potential.

Stone Soup Magazine and books by kids make ideal gifts for children who love to read. Stories by children provide classroom reading material and creative writing models for teachers and homeschoolers to use in their language arts programs. Writing projects are published in each edition of the iPad edition of Stone Soup.

In addition to publishing Stone Soup Magazine (print and iPad editions) and books by kids, Stone Soup offers journals, sketchbooks, and children’s art prints.

About the Author

In 1973, I was twenty years old, teaching children's art classes at my college, the University of California, Santa Cruz, and came up with the idea that the best way to encourage children to write was to introduce them to the best writing by their peers. Stone Soup grew out of that idea, and I have continued to publish Stone Soup for all these years.
I am also a culinary historian. I write about traditional foodways. My book, "The Magic of Fire," is about hearth cooking. My book, "Bread, a global history," speaks for itself. I am currently writing a bread history for a University Press. I publish articles on gardening and traditional foodways at Mother Earth News. I also publish on wild mushrooms and other food-related subjects.