Stone Soup Magazine: April 2020
Stone Soup Magazine, April 2020 (Volume 48, Issue 4). Full color, 36 pages.
LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
This issue is a bit different than usual for two reasons. First, we have started to serialize Hannah Nami Gajcowksi’s fantastical novella, Elana, which placed third in our 2019 book contest. Elana follows the extraordinary adventures of a “furow” girl who lives on Neptune and has an important destiny to fulfill. We will be publishing Elana in three installments in our April, May, and June issues—we are sure you will be waiting impatiently for the next installments each month!
Second, it is National Poetry Month again! For this reason, we have chosen to showcase the work of two young poets. We hope you will enjoy reading this larger selection of work by a single poet (as well as an additional short story), and that you will take the time to read and reread these pieces. Poems may take less time to read than stories, but they are meant to be read many times.
Until next time!
5. A Birthday Surprise by Bo-Violet Vig, 13
Every year, Emily’s birthday morning is the same—except this year . . .
17. Elana by Hannah Nami Gajcowski, 9
Part One: Elana, a furow girl who lives on Neptune, discovers that she is the Chosen One and embarks on an adventure with a fairy
9. Three Poems by Sabrina Guo, 13
32. Three Poems by Isabel Goodey, 11
Cover: Eyes on You by Rebecca Wu, 9
4. The Leafy Thing by Oskar Cross, 10
8. Self-Portrait by Anya Geist, 13
13. Experiment in Reduction by Caitlin Goh, 13
14. Strawberry by Lulu DeMallie, 11
16. The Lady by Margaret Fulop, 11
32. Web-Dweller by Anya Geist, 13
35. Uplift by Sage Millen, 10
36. honor roll