fbpx

Them

They are someone no one. They died and lived, struggled and knew, under the sky, our sky. But nobody sees them, and they see us and stand beneath our trees. But nobody sees them, and their vision and life fades, and they stand upon our soil. But nobody sees them, and they no longer see […]

Stone Soup Honor Roll: November 2022

Welcome to the Stone Soup Honor Roll! We receive hundreds of submissions every month by kids from around the world. Unfortunately, we can’t publish all the great work we receive. So we created the Stone Soup Honor Roll. We commend all of these talented writers and artists and encourage them to keep creating. – The […]

Highlight from Stonesoup.com

from Flash Contest #44 Last Vacation Dear Ela, I know this is weird, me, I mean you from the future, writing to you. This is very important though. Vacation is very special to you, but I am begging that you spend less time re-reading your novels and watching the waves crash onto the shore endlessly […]

Silver Swirl

Boy in the Moonlight A silver swirl lay upon a silver button left on the rock hard floor its keeper, an unknown person A silver swirl in my palm like a whirlpool in the sea I could almost feel the cool water A silver swirl lay upon a silver button left on the hard rock […]

Hairs

Everybody in my family has different hair. My papa’s hair is russet, like freshly watered soil, sometimes charcoal when it gets wet. Laith’s hair is light brown like lush potatoes straight out of the garden, like the crisp part of a cookie. Layla’s hair is yellow, like pasta in the pot; it’s darker on the […]

Love Language

The writer recalls two different moments when she and her grandparents connected, despite a large cultural and linguistic gap The door to my grandparents’ house in Queens greets me, worn and grayed. Inside, the familiar setting smells faintly of fruit, maybe the Asian pears my Nainai always sends us home with. The left opens to […]

Rainy Dawn

Lighthouse in the Rain Warm & soft at waking You wonder & remember the night before when rain was falling gray & dark The world is silent with thoughts I place my right hand on the glass I see joy in the sky pink & yellow I see rain drizzling down the dawn

Rainy Night

Dark, wet, scary The world outside quivers Raindrops above our heads Two umbrellas black We sit on wet earth The world darkens One umbrella leaves One umbrella alone Crickets quiet Cicadas chirp and flee One umbrella returns Two umbrellas moving Across the rainy night

Thunder

A violent thunderstorm shakes Leanne to her core Crack! Boom! Lightning and thunder raged throughout the storm. Leanne clutched onto her teddy bear as tightly as possible and looked out of the window from the couch in the living room, a blanket wrapped around her entire body, watching as the rain poured down so hard […]