Very Berry Pie

One Saturday night a long time ago, my grandma and I had nothing to do. I went in the pantry to find some baking recipes.  I saw a recipe that said Very Berry Pie. "Grandma," I said "come look at what I found!"  My grandma told me this was her great grandma's recipe. "LET'S BAKE IT!" I said excitedly.  We got out the pans and got the oven ready. We rolled out the pie crust and put it around the rim of the pie pan. Meanwhile my little brother sneaked into the kitchen and took some pie dough to play with. "WHERE DID THE PIECE OF THE PIE CRUST GO?" I hollered. I saw my little brother run off. He was so fast I could not catch up! DONK! I tripped over the stairs. He dropped the piece of pie crust and I caught it! "I HAVE RETURNED THE PIE CRUST!"  I shouted like a brave knight.  I looked at my arm and saw that it was bleeding. "That little rascal", I whispered.  I grabbed a bandage and wrapped it around my arm.  It stop bleeding. When we finished baking the pie, the crust was golden brown.  The filling was warm and looked like a mixture of thick berries and sauce.  I will always remember the first day I made Very Berry Pie because I still have a scar on my arm, and I bet my little brother will remember, too.

Ingredients

List of ingredients for the crust
1½ cups (180g) flour
1 stick (120g) butter
¼ cup (60ml) ice water
a pinch of salt
1 egg yolk

List of ingredients for the filling
8 oz (200g) blueberries
8 oz (200g) blackberries
8 oz (200g). raspberries
3 thinly sliced strawberries
1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
½ cup (55g) cornstarch
1 lemon

Method

How to make the crust
First, get out a 12 inch (30cm) pie pan.

Next, you need your flour and put it in a bowl. Rub the butter into it with your fingers. After that, take your egg. To separate the yolk, crack the egg in half over a bowl, let the yolk settle in one half of the shell and then keep transferring the yolk back and forth allowing the egg white to fall out into the bowl. Tip the egg yolk in another bowl. Make sure there are no egg shells in it. Whisk it with a whisk until it gets thick. Put it in with the flour and mix it in. Grab your half cup of water and pour it in the flour. Mix until thickened and combined.

Take your hands and pick up the dough and sprinkle some flour on the counter. Take a rolling pin and roll out two pie crusts. Then gently set one crust in the pie pan. Put the crust around the rim.

How to make the filling and bake the pie
Take out a two quart saucepan and put in the berries and the sugar. The berries should be boiling. You want to reduce the heat, then add the cornstarch, and stir with a wooden spoon. Cook the berries over medium heat until they reduce. They should be thickened after 15 minutes. Let them cool off for 19 minutes.

Take your lemon and stab it with a fork. Cut it in half. Squeeze the lemon juice in with the berries. Mix until thick.

Scoop up the filling and drop into the crust in the pie pan.  Wet the edges of the bottom pie crust so the top crust can stick together. Take your 2nd pie crust and put it on the top of the filling, then crimp both crusts together using a fork. Take your fork and put a little hole in the top of the crust so the pie can have some air.

Bake the pie for ¾ - 1 hour at 350⁰F (175⁰C).*  Let it cool for about fifteen minutes.

*A note from the Stone Soup test kitchen: the pie will turn golden brown. This might take a little longer or a little less time, depending on your oven. You can start to check it after 35-40 minutes.

Skylar Carroscia very berry pie
Skylar Carroscia, 8
South Euclid, OH