Our December Flash Contest was based on our weekly creativity prompt #130,  a wonderful creative challenge issued by our Stone Soup intern, Anya Geist, asking you to make a piece of art inspired by a family tradition. Needless to say, given the time of year, we received lots of entries based on holidays, including Christmas, Chinese New Year, and Navratri, plus some regular family traditions that go on all the year round. As well as encountering a diverse range of traditions, we also received works of art in many, many styles and media: collage, drawing, oil on canvas, knitting, models made in paper and clay, paper cut outs and digital art. It was really exciting to see the range of materials and cultures represented in these stories from your families. Well done to everyone who entered, and thank you for bringing us so much holiday cheer! And thank you Anya, for a great seasonal prompt!

In particular, we congratulate our Honorable Mentions and our Winners, whose work you can appreciate below.

Winners
Rangoli by Prisha Aswal, 8, Portland, OR
Family of Pirates 
by Paris Andreou Hadjipavlou, 7,  Nicosia, Cyprus
Knitting up Memories by Audrey Hou, 11, Portland, OR
Chinese New Year Windmill by Sophia Li, 9, Redwood City, CA
A Paper Chinese New Year by Serena Lin, 10, Scarsdale, NY

Honorable Mentions
Chinese New Year by Yuxuan Jiang, 11, Portland, OR
Secret Santa with my Sisters by Lucinda Mancini, 8, Glenside, PA
Soaring in the Sky by Jessie Zhang, 9, Portland, OR
Christmas Chaos by Joycelyn Zhang, 10, San Diego, CA
Paper Art by Alexis Zou, 13, Lake Oswego, OR

Prisha Aswal, 8
Portland, OR

Rangoli

Prisha Aswal, 8

In our family, we celebrate a lot of traditions from all the cultures. One of my favorite festivals is Navratri, and during this festival we have  a tradition of making Rangoli. Navratri occurs just before Diwali (the festival of Lights) and is celebrated to mark the victory of Good over Evil and Light over Darkness.

A Rangoli is a colourful design, made on the floor near the entrance of the house, to welcome guests. Usually people make it with powder colors or colored chalks. It is usually made in a circle and then a pattern is repeated to complete the circle using bright colors. I love making Rangoli with my parents.

For this project, I chose to make a Rangoli on canvas. Since Rangolis are usually round, I really wanted to use Earth as my design . It was not easy for me to make it perfectly, so I  decided to go with an outline and chose red color to fill the land because red is the color of Love. I also put an oil lamp in the center as Light means knowledge and drives away darkness.

I added Namaste, Hola, Bonjour, Ni Hao and Hello, to show that even though people speak different languages , their feelings are the same.

Around my Earth, I used bright and colorful patterns and then colored the rest of the canvas in midnight blue to show the universe.

Rangoli for Navratri by Prisha Aswal, 8, Portland, OR

Paris Andreou Hadjipavlou, 7
Nicosia, Cyprus

Family of Pirates

Paris Andreou Hadjipavlou, 7

Due to quarantine we have developed a family tradition of dress up. In this one we are dressing up as pirates, to hunt for treasure and explore the seas. . .

Family of Pirates by Paris Andreou Hadjipavlou, 7,  Nicosia, Cyprus

Audrey Hou, 11
Portland, OR

Knitting up Memories

Audrey Hou, 11

Sophia Li, 9
Redwood City, CA

Chinese New Year Windmill

Sophia Li, 9

I made this for fun and gave it to my mom. It's a Chinese New Year windmill that means good luck and health. I wrote thank you in Chinese on it and drew a dragon.

Serena Lin, 10
Scarsdale, NY

A Paper Chinese New Year

Serena Lin, 10, Scarsdale, NY

My family is Chinese and we celebrate Chinese New Year every year. My artwork is made by hand with paper and clay, representing Chinese New Year.