Gun control is one of the most hotly debated topics today. There are several reasons why it is needed today. According to the Department of Justice, between 1994 and 2014 background checks have blocked 3 million gun sales to prohibited people. Imagine how much death rates would plummet if we locked down on gun control, and think of all the lives that could be saved by this simple institution.I am fighting for revision of the Second Amendment for several reasons, some of which are accidents, death and violence, and crime rates.

Guns cause numerous accidents each year, and anyone can be a victim. According to the Injury Prevention and Control, between 1999 and 2013, 9,983 unintentional deaths have occurred because of gun accidents. This demonstrates that each year a great number of people die as a result of a this. In addition, The US General Accounting Office stated that by enacting gun control laws such as mandatory safety features would reduce the number of accidental deaths, and estimated that 100% of deaths per year in which a child under 6 years old shoots and kills him/herself or another child could be prevented by automatic child-proof safety locks. This shows that by taking simple safety precautions, the number of deaths can be decreased by a great number!

Deaths and violence is a growing problem in our country. The FBI discovered that in 2013, 1,962 people died from a gun in arguments over matters such as money. This illustrates that presence of a gun makes a conflict more likely to become violent and that by locking down on gun control, fewer deaths will occur every year. CDC Data and Statistics proved that gun control will lead to fewer suicides because between 1999 and 2013 there were 270,237 firearm suicides in the United States. A 2014 study published by the International Review of Law and Economics, when the numbers of gun ownership went down in the United States, the overall suicide rates went down as well. This is just one of the many reasons why most guns should be prohibited. More evidence from Michael Planty and Jennifer Truman from Bureau of Justice Statistics illustrates guns are rarely used in self-defense. The facts are: of the 29,618,300 violent crimes committed between 2007 and 2011, 0.79% of victims protected themselves with the use of a firearm. If you are really trying to protect yourself and your family, in the event of an emergency when you need the use of a firearm, you would have to have multiple firearms in the house to reach one when you need it. Furthermore, you would need to have the firearm in a place that is not hard reach. This means that you are more likely to have accidental deaths to really have the use of a firearm for self-defense.

Crime rates are becoming an increasing problem. According to research done by ProCon, the presence of more guns can actually serve as a stimulus to burglary and theft. By omitting the presence of guns, crime rates will go down which is beneficial to the safety our county. We need gun control for several other reasons, as demonstrated by the American Journal of Public Health, the presence of a gun in a domestic violence increases the risk of a woman being killed five times. Imagine if gun control was put into action, and think of all the lives that would be saved. The National Crime Victimization Survey found that 467,321 persons were victims of a crime committed with a firearm in 2011. As well, seven children and teens are killed a day by a gun in the United States. One child is worth all the guns in the world.

We clearly need gun control for reasons such as accidents, death and violence, and crime rates. We did not fight for a free country just to be victims of gun violence. “The life of a single human being is worth a million times more than all the property of the richest man on Earth.” - Che Guevara

Note: We also published a Special Feature on the blog of other submissions related to Gun Violence. Check them out here.