This is a wonderful interview. Its biggest strength may be Wendelin Van Draanen's discussion of the importance of persistence. Her own story of having her books rejected for ten years offers an inspiring vision of an author whose faith in herself kept her from giving up despite repeated rejections. Another very strong part of this interview is her finding in Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine the understanding that her own authentic voice is that of a young teenager.
- Persistence pays off. Story of multiple rejections.
- She starts with a big idea i.e. good versus evil.
- Inspired by Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine.
- Talks about teenage years, love of running, her life.
- Final advice: write every day and never give up!
Internet Links for Wendelin Van Draanen
Books at Amazon.com
- The Running Dream (Schneider Family Book Award - Teen Book Winner)
- Swear to Howdy
- Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief
A Stone Soup Book Review of The Running Dream