Audrey Zhang, age 11, is a fantastic artist, so we were only a little surprised when we learned that she won this year’s national Doodle 4 Google contest. Go, Audrey! Her doodle was selected from more than 10,000 entries by kids across the U.S. in grades K–12. Some of you were lucky enough to see Audrey’s doodle on Google’s home page, where it was featured for 24 hours on June 9, 2014.

If you missed it, or even if you didn’t, you can read the whole story here, see Audrey’s doodle, and learn more about her experience. Take a look at the video, too.

Audrey has illustrated two stories for Stone Soup, including Standing Alone, the featured story from our May/June 2014 issue. Watch for more of Audrey’s work in future issues of Stone Soup.

Gerry Mandel
About the Author

Back in 1973, I was one of the group of UC Santa Cruz students who put together the early issues of Stone Soup. It was my great pleasure to work on the magazine until I retired in 2017.