The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue is a masterpiece. It is one of the most striking and memorable novels I have ever read, and the book has an ethereal quality that captures every bit of your attention. V. E. Schwab’s novel tells the story of Adeline (Addie) LaRue, a young French girl born in the late 1600s who made a deal with a manifestation of the god of darkness to escape a life of marriage and captivity. Addie is given freedom and immortality and in return must one day choose to surrender her soul to the dark god, Luc. This novel is a “be careful what you wish for” story, and Addie’s freedom comes at a terrible price. No one can remember her beyond their current conversation, she cannot speak her name, and she cannot leave a mark on the world. Anything she creates disappears. She can take things but never make them. And she is always forgotten by people, no matter what, until the year 2014 when she meets a boy who remembers her name.

The concept of this book is so stunning and unique; this story always seemed to have something new to say. Never was there a dull moment or a slow-moving place, and I managed to speed through it in only a day. The writing itself was also exquisite. The use of metaphor and the English language was captivating and masterful. By the end of the book, I found myself believing that Addie LaRue really exists. I especially love how V. E. Schwab started each part of her novel by introducing a piece of real art and then wove that piece of art into Addie’s life story. V. E. Schwab’s characters aren’t two-dimensional or shallow. Every character has faults and hobbies and feelings and does more than simply exist to drive the plot forward. Adeline felt like a real human being. She was timeless and relatable while being totally individualistic.

I could go on and on about all the incredible parts of this novel and drone on for hours about all the thoughtful and insightful surprises hidden within its pages. I know this book will linger in my thoughts for months. My teachers will surely catch me daydreaming about it. I greatly admire V. E. Schwab for her ability to write a young adult book and make it accessible to younger children as well. Anyone and everyone should read The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue. It is thought-provoking, elegant, and astute, and it really made me think deeply about life and the world while still being light, fun, and easy to read. I have been changed because of this book in the most positive way possible. Five stars are certainly in order.

The Invisible Life of Addie Larue by V.E. Schwab. Tor Books, 2020. Buy the book here and support Stone Soup in the process!