The Twits by Roald Dahl  is a disgusting, creepy, repulsive book full of gross descriptions of stinky people who are just as horrible on the inside as they are on the outside. In most books, the main characters are heroes, but in this one they are cruel, wicked villains that play mean tricks on each other and the animals that live around them.

Even though all of that is true, I wanted to continue reading about these bizarre people and their wacky ways.  The book introduces readers to talking animals, vindictive humans, hateful pranks and crazy plots of revenge.  The Twits, a husband and wife, antagonize each other and the birds and monkeys that live and are caged in their yard. The book is funny, unique, and full of colorful descriptions that make you feel like you have met these awful people.

In the end, The Twits reminds us that bad guys get their comeuppance. Their energy is spent hurting each other and those around them, but it all comes back to them in the end, reminding us to be kind to each other and to animals. And to clean the rotting food out of our beards.

The Twits by Roald Dahl. Viking Books for Young Readers, 2007. Buy the book here and support Stone Soup in the process!

Petros Korahais, 8 (Whitestone, NY)