Wilder Girls is narrated through the perspectives of two girls. The first is Hetty and the second is Byatt. Both girls live in a quarantined school. An infection, also known as “The Tox,” has been going around for eighteen months. The Tox first murdered the teachers and then it slowly started spreading to some students. Reese, one of Hetty and Byatt’s childhood friends, happens to be in their school as well. Suddenly, The Tox infects Byatt and she goes missing. The outside of the Raxter School’s fence is forbidden to cross. Hetty and Reese have no choice but to break the rules and step outside the fence.

This thrilling Sci-Fi novel kept me turning the pages until I reached the end. Rory Power's writing is so sophisticated, it made me feel like I was inside the story. The authors’ enthusiasm is clear throughout this book and there are no dull scenes at all. The side romance between Hetty and Reese is just enough for me. I am not a fan of fluffy romance scenes, but the dynamic between Hetty and Reese was actually an interesting addition to the story.

Wilder Girls is one of my favorite science fiction books. I enjoyed all four hundred pages of this book in one day simply because I could not stand not knowing what happens next. I really loved this read. It makes me view the entire Sci-Fi genre differently.

Wilder Girls by Rory Power. Ember, 2020. Buy the book here and support Stone Soup in the process!