Book-Writing Contest: Summer 2019

Contests, Teacher Resources  /   /  By Stone Soup Editors
June 2019

Stone Soup is seeking submissions for a book contest from writers aged 14 and younger. The winning manuscript will be published by Children’s Art Foundation–Stone Soup Inc. as a standalone book (see the other awards below). The contest is open to entrants around the world, writing in the English language, and accepts manuscripts in multiple genres, topics and forms: you may submit a novel, a collection of poetry or short stories, a memoir, or other prose. As always, we are looking for excellent, innovative, unusual, powerful writing. As long as it meets the minimum length detailed below, it qualifies for submission. You have the summer to work on your book. We can’t wait to read it!

Contest Details

Length: For prose (fiction or memoir) submissions, the minimum length is 4000 words. For poetry submissions, the minimum length is 30 pages. There is no maximum word or page limit.

Deadline: August 15, 11:59 p.m. (Pacific time).

Entry fee: $15 per manuscript.

Results: We will select three winners, all of which will be published in various forms, and made available for sale on Amazon, in the Stone Soup store, via our distributors, and advertised along with the rest of our books to libraries and other vendors.

Prizes and Publication:

• First place: Manuscript published in both print and ebook forms.
  • Second place: Manuscript serialized (i.e. published in sections over several months) in print in Stone Soup Magazine, and published in its entirety as an ebook.
  • Third place: Manuscript published as an ebook.

Publication: Winning entries will be published in the form(s) described above, in early 2020.

Age limit: The contest is open to authors aged 14 and younger. If you recently turned 15 (within 3 months of the deadline) and wrote your book when you were 14, we will accept your submission.

To enter: All entries should be submitted via our Submittable site.

About the Author