Jacqueline Gonzalez, 13 (Hoboken, NJ)

Break-Up Letter to 2021

Jacqueline Gonzalez, 13

Dear 2021, 

I’m not exactly sure how to say this, and I am sorry if this hurts you, but I think we should break up. We had great times together, like when we finally finished my family’s lake house. You even let me see my friends during our summer on the boat - something 2020 never let me do. We also got to attend my sister’s wedding and have one of the best days ever. From all of our memories together, I think my favorite was when you let me walk into school for the first time in almost two years! 

Though we had some great times and memories together, I realized that I need to put myself first for once. While you treated me much better than 2020 ever did, there are too many things that made me want to leave and never turn back. You sent your friend, Omicron, over to my house without letting me know, ruining New Year’s for my family and me (talk about obsessive)! You also made my parents cancel our Disney trip again, because you were hanging out with your friend Delta. You always thought that joking around and messing with people’s lives was fine, but here’s a little advice: it’s not okay to mess with people’s lives, especially mine! 

I know this won’t be easy to hear, but I met someone else. 2022 has so much more to offer and has promised me a good year to come. They provided me the opportunity to take a writing class to help me with the book I’ve tried to write throughout our relationship. 2022 also offered to fix the sleep schedule you helped ruin. Most importantly, 2022 offered me more time with friends and family that I haven’t seen, no thanks to your friends Omicron and Delta. 2021, it’s time for me to say my final goodbye. I’d say I hope you find a better partner, but let’s be honest, there’s no other partner better than me. So goodbye 2021, I hope you have a good life—without me! 

Best of Luck, 

Jacqueline