Cat Pictures by Children!

Stone Soup Editors' Notes  /   /  By William Rubel
November 2018

These are three very different approaches to making pictures of cats. But, what they have in common are the dynamic personalities of the cats that were models for the pictures. Each looks at us, as cats do, with their unique expressions.  These pictures come from Oman, Lithuania, and Germany.

165-zaman-cat-picture

Mother Cat with Kittens, Rafiaa Mouhamad Zaman, age 9, Oman

998-arulis-cats-warming

Cats Warming Themselves, by Dalius Arulis, age 8, Lithuania

668-gunther-my-cat-kittens

My Cat and Her Kittens, by Gabi Gunther, age 10, Germany

About the Author

In 1973, I was twenty years old, teaching children's art classes at my college, the University of California, Santa Cruz, and came up with the idea that the best way to encourage children to write was to introduce them to the best writing by their peers. Stone Soup grew out of that idea, and I have continued to publish Stone Soup for all these years.
I am also a culinary historian. I write about traditional foodways. My book, "The Magic of Fire," is about hearth cooking. My book, "Bread, a global history," speaks for itself. I am currently writing a bread history for a University Press. I publish articles on gardening and traditional foodways at Mother Earth News. I also publish on wild mushrooms and other food-related subjects.