An update from our sixty-fifth Writing Workshop with Conner Bassett

A summary of the workshop held on Saturday, April 29

In this week’s workshop, we talked about long sentences. First, Conner showed us two paintings. The first one was Christ Breaking Down the Gates of Hell by Hieronymous Bosch and the second one was The Flight Between Carnival and Lent by Pieter Bruegel the Elder. We concluded that both paintings were full of chaos, with a lot going on in both of them. Then we looked at some examples of long sentences, all similar in some way to the paintings. Some used polysyndeton, lists, or had a turn. All of them were one long sentence, full of action and description. After talking about the examples, we were asked to write our own story or poem in one sentence and to try to make it as long as possible without worrying about making sense. Afterwards, we shared our work.

The Challenge: Write a poem or story in one sentence. Try to make it as long as possible.

The Participants: Emma, Stella, Anushka, Seva, Philip, Catherine, Liesl, Samantha, Yueling, Ananya, Aaron, Madeline, Josh, Amaya, Samarina