Weekly Creativity #215: Think about a Change You’d Like to Make, and Write about What the World Would Be Like If this Had Happened

Think about a change you’d like to make, and write about what the world would be like if this had happened.

Comments

1. Climate change is a problem that’s becoming more and more of a concern in the 21st Century. In 2020, there were 5.2 billion tonnes of greenhouse gasses emitted into the atmosphere and in 2021 there was 36.3 billion tonnes emitted into the atmosphere. That is almost 6x more from 2020 to 2021. At this rate, the earth would have almost 278 billion tonnes of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere. It is quite obvious that having this climate change is something that needs to be addressed and is something that I would like to change.
    The effects of having no carbon footprint will help immensely with rapid rise in temperatures. Icebergs will no longer melt, hot places get cooler and wet places more dry. The ozone layer–which protects us from the sun’s UV rays– will start to recover and help us not get sunburned on hot summer days. There will also be less tsunamis, hurricanes, tornados, and wildfires.
    Overall climate change isn’t something that can be changed easily, however the things that will be reduced and will be prevented are immensely helpful to the planet and can be life changing. It is unfortunate however that many political powers are not taking climate change seriously and are just fueling their capitalist greed. But it is not too late now to start preventing climate change now.

2. Something I wish would change is fresh water in oceans. This will be a major change to the world because you don’t have to cough your lungs out every time you accidentally take a huge gulp of salt water. You also don’t have to wear goggles anymore because your eyes won’t have to die every time you open your eyes in the ocean. The downside is that the water density will be the same in every place, so there will be no currents, and without currents most boats will have about 3 percent progress when they go further out into the ocean. We also won’t have a nearly unlimited amount of salt any more so there will be a salt shortage. Salt is probably one of the most bought seasoning in groceries, so soon many people will be too cheap to afford salt and will have to eat food that tastes like water for the rest of their life. Every sign of life in the sea will die causing everything to float up which will create a whole blanket of fish in the ocean, and then another blanket of rotting fish scent right above that. Not only that, it kills all the algae too, algae supplies 70 percent of the world’s oxygen. With half of our oxygen gone, there will be a good fat chance of human extinction, but that’s ok. Those were my thoughts on what would happen if saltwater turned into fresh water.

3. Nothing is perfect, especially life. There is global warming, wars, robberies, etc. Even though the world is getting better nothing being perfect is a part of life. It’s almost like imperfections can help us. We learn from it. But anyway, one change I’d like to make about our planet is to stop littering, trashing, and putting wrong things into the wrong bin. I know that people already learn about “protecting the environment” in elementary school or kindergarten, but I don’t think many people care about it when they grow older. I see people everyday putting everything into the trash bin, and to be honest, sometimes I don’t know where some things go and I just put it in a random bin, so I’m not saying I do the right thing all the time either. Nobody enforces anything about it, and you won’t get fined by putting paper in a landfill bin in most places.
    One thing that will change If everybody really pays attention to sorting trash, then the air will have a big change. Garbage is a big part of air pollution, and can cause coughing, loss of smell, and eye irritation. If we put paper and cardboard and recyclables in the trash bin, we’ll be making even more trash than we should be making! And even burning garbage is very harmful. People who burn garbage as their job risks their lives every day, but many people don’t realize that. Littering, which has to do with garbage, of course hurts the environment, but 60% of water pollution comes from littering. People are helping to pick up trash on our beaches, but they’ll never be able to keep up with the pace humans are littering. If we reduce the amount of littering, or just stop it completely, someday, trash will be all cleared up. You might have heard this in school, but animals, whether sea or land, have no idea what trash is, so you guessed it, they eat it. There are a lot of different examples the internet gives about this, but one real life example that happened to animals in front of me was in Japan. We were in a park full of deer, Nara Park, and there were deer cookies we could feed to them. One girl was so scared of them because they wanted the cookies, she dropped the whole pack. They scarfed it down, and they also ate the paper wrapper outside of it. I was younger, so I was fascinated that they seemed to enjoy the paper. I don’t think eating paper is beneficial for deers, but the point is, little things humans do, throwing garbage, being scared of deers, can cause bigger damage. I think the deer was okay because it was just a little bit of paper, but it still might’ve made the deer sick. If we stop littering, then we’re saving ourselves from being sick, saving animals from eating unnatural materials, and saving our earth from polluting! In a nutshell, a small movement like putting paper in the recycling bin might make a much bigger change.