An update from our forty-sixth Writing Workshop

A summary of the workshop held on Saturday September 11, plus some of the output published below

For the first writing workshop of the Fall term, William presented on the concept of monologues, citing famous examples, like Mark Antony’s speech at the end of Shakespeare’s play Julius Ceasar. William went over the many ways monologues can reveal a character’s emotional state, as well as their motivations. The class also took a look at examples from Alice in Wonderland and watched a crucial Snape monologue from Harry Potter. After 5 minutes to sketch a quick character outline, the class launched into 30 minutes of creating their own monologue delivered by the character they created. Below is some of the work that the young writers in this workshop crafted in this session.

The Challenge: Write a character sketch for 5 minutes and then write a monologue delivered by the character.

The Participants: Peri G, Aditi N, Nami G, Elbert P, Jonathan, Nova M.C., Iago M.C.,

Peri Gordon
Peri Gordon, 11
(Sherman Oaks, CA)

Life Gone Awry

Peri Gordon, 11

“Is it just me, or does it seem like aliens invaded our planet and convinced everyone to add to my workload? What do I even start with? The bank is a priority, I guess; yes, my job has to come first. But if I don’t make more music, I’ll lose my studio...I guess I should head there. What am I thinking? I can’t miss work. I’ll have to quit writing songs once and for all...and yet I always told Bonnie she could intern for me in the studio when she turned 15. Oh, yes, the birthday gift for Bonnie—what was it again? Did we decide? What is wrong with my memory? Let me call Dave. Where is my phone? If I can just get to my office, I can make sure I have it...hey, you, stop honking, sir! None of this is my fault, don’t you understand? Is it just me, or does it seem like the whole world is turning against me? Please, someone, help! Where do I go? Why doesn’t Dave get a job? Right, as if he would want all this work after my stress reports. To work, then. But first, coffee. At least that I have...stop the honking! And, excuse me, ma’am, but that was my coffee you just knocked over...onto my...papers. Right, well, I can’t go to work now. Mr. Burns will be furious. Oh, yes, the video game for Bonnie! Right over there, I promised Dave I would buy it. Right, open 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Let’s see, what time is it? 11:10, of course. I don’t think I’ve made it to a store on time in five years. What is wrong with me? Well, I know exactly what’s wrong with me: I’m overloaded. How is it that every person on the street seems so... normal? How uncommon is it to be this unlucky when it’s all I am? Oh, and yes, I’m already late to work because of the coffee spill on my papers, thanks to that inconsiderate jogger. And because Bonnie has a birthday, such a ridiculous little thing. And because Dave won’t get a job! Is it just me, or does it seem like aliens invaded our planet and convinced everyone to add to my workload?”