Episode #3: You've Got a Friend in Me

Transcript:

Hello, my name is Misha Ahmed, and I am your host of this podcast series called ROBOMIND. I know you may be wondering, what does ROBOMIND mean? For those of you who haven't been here for the last two episodes go check those out, but to get back on track ROBOMIND is a combination of two things: robotics and mind. I love robotics, and I believe that it shapes how you think and it shapes your mind. That is why I called my podcast ROBOMIND.

Now, a little about me. I’m 12 years old, and I am an absolute robotics fanatic! I am on my middle school robotics team, and I want to inspire you to give robotics a try too.

Episode number 3 of ROBOMIND is called, “You've Got a Friend in Me” by Randy Newman that was used in a classic, TOY STORY, by Disney. You know I'm keeping that Disney theme from the other episodes. In this episode I am going to talk about one of the many reasons why I wanted to join robotics and why I love it so much.

Before we get to that though it is time to reveal the answer to the riddle from last time. If you don't remember it was a series of letters, and you needed to find out what letter was going to be next. The letters were F S T F F S S. Now, drumroll please...the next letter is “E.” Now let me give you a little bit of an explanation because that one definitely was hard for me. Basically, the answer is E because the letters are the first letters in the words of numbers in chronological order (first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh), which explains eighth, E.

Now to get onto the topic. Obviously I love robotics because of well, robotics! What I mean is that I love the engineering, programming, and notebooking aspect of it. However, there is a side that people who don't do robotics (or don't have siblings that do robotics) don’t see and that is the family. In robotics you make many friends, and in the hours and hours and hours you spend together you become closer and closer. You become so close that you are basically family. We poke fun at each other and support each other. We all love those late nights when you're grinding robotics, and you look up at your teammates and you're just so tired and sleep deprived that even though nothing happened, you all just start laughing. It's like the sight of each others' faces makes you guys absolutely fall to the ground laughing. We will always remember when we are all at competitions and crossing our fingers in a huddle that we will score enough points, go up in rank, get another interview, or even win an award.

Now that I am in robotics myself, I have learned that even though robotics is a very very competitive thing it is much more of a fun, free, learning environment where you can make friendships that will last forever. For example, when I am at robotics there will be days where we just work work work work, but then there will be days where we are all hanging out and discussing the most random things. So if you are wondering if you should join robotics or not, just remember the amazing friendships you will make.

Now it is the time for what is going to keep you on your toes: THE RIDDLE!!! Okay, I am going to go super duper slow so if you need to get out a piece of paper and a pencil to write it down because this one is hard and a little bit tricky. You might need it. Also, this one is loosely-based off of a riddle found in “The Amazing Sherlock Holmes Puzzle Book”

EPISODE 3 RIDDLE: There were two men Jeff and Bob. Bob bet Jef that he would be able to hang his hat and then after walking 500 yards turn around and shoot a hole straight through the top of it all while keeping his eyes closed. Despite knowing him to be an excellent shot, Jeff deemed it near impossible and readily accepted Bob’s bet, and yet Bob easily won. How?

Okay, well you guys are keeping your gears turning thinking of that. Thank you to all of you guys who kept making comments. I loved seeing your thoughts and ideas. Thank you so much! This is your host Misha Ahmed of ROBOMIND signing off!

Comments

1. You’re such an enthusiastic and expressive presenter! I like that robotics is a way to shape your mind and also make lifelong friendships. Even when competitions don’t go your way, you are building relationships and connections.