“March” by Frederick Ouseley, 6, composed in 1833.

Music  /   /  By William Rubel
November 2018

This March was composed by Frederick Ouseley (1825-1889) when he was six years old. Frederick grew up to become a composer of church music. He started composing at the age of three — an older sister transcribed his first pieces. This march is one of the few early works by Frederick that have been published. This recording by Mariana Joyce, age 11, may be the first recording of this piece.

About the Author

In 1973, I was twenty years old, teaching children's art classes at my college, the University of California, Santa Cruz, and came up with the idea that the best way to encourage children to write was to introduce them to the best writing by their peers. Stone Soup grew out of that idea, and I have continued to publish Stone Soup for all these years.
I am also a culinary historian. I write about traditional foodways. My book, "The Magic of Fire," is about hearth cooking. My book, "Bread, a global history," speaks for itself. I am currently writing a bread history for a University Press. I publish articles on gardening and traditional foodways at Mother Earth News. I also publish on wild mushrooms and other food-related subjects.