Red-Galaxy
Red Galaxy (chalk pastels) by Ahaana Gangwal, 8; published in Stone Soup February 2023

A note from Emma Wood

Hello!

Since having my daughter in 2020, life has seemed to be in constant flux—partly because of the kids (just as soon as we discover the perfect routine, their needs seem to change!), partly because of the circumstances—we’ve moved twice with another one on the horizon—and partly because of changes at work—that is, here, at Stone Soup. Many of those changes won’t be immediately visible to you all, but there is one that will be: beginning with the May issue, we will revert to publishing on a bimonthly schedule. This means we will publish six longer issues a year instead of the eleven shorter magazines you are used to receiving.

We have been considering all of our options to ensure that Stone Soup remains viable long into the future. Producing, printing, and mailing the magazine is Stone Soup’s main expense, and for 45 of its 50 years, we were a bimonthly publication. Returning to that model (but with longer issues—each one will now be like a small book!) allows us to print the same amount of content, just less frequently. This not only helps us cut back on costs, but also gives staff more breathing room—which in turn will free up some of our time to invest in other areas of Stone Soup. Since each issue will be longer and since there are other perks to being a subscriber (free submissions along with digital access to our magazine archives, our blogs, and our writing activities), we won’t be changing our subscription price at this time.

I know this may come as a disappointment to some readers and subscribers. If you have any questions or concerns, please write to us at subscriptions@stonesoup.com.

I also want to share that our GoFundMe campaign is halfway to its goal!! Thank you to all who have joined us so far; we are so grateful for your support. We ask once again that you consider contributing to our campaign and share our page with anyone who might also be interested in supporting our mission.

Finally, through GoFundMe, it is also possible to become a fundraiser for us. If you or the young Stone Soup reader in your life is interested in starting a drive for Stone Soup in your local community, please let us know! We would be happy to support them, and believe this would be a valuable learning experience for any young person.

My best,

Stone Soup is published by Children’s Art Foundation-Stone Soup Inc., a 501(c)(3) educational nonprofit organization registered
in the United States of America, EIN: 23-7317498.