Spring
"Spring" by Sloka Ganne, 10 (Overland Park, KS) Published in Stone Soup January 2021

A note from Caleb

Summer school news. Stone Soup and the Society for Young Inklings are teaming up again this summer. We are going to offer more classes than last year. Our goal is to have the program finalized within the next two or three weeks so you can begin registering. We have a couple surprises for you—but, no spoilers today!

Hello Stone Soup family! You have not yet heard from me, so a little bit about myself: my name is Caleb Berg, and I am a fourth-year student at the University of California, Santa Cruz, where I study literature with a focus on creative writing. Fun fact: I started working for Stone Soup due in large part to the fact that William and I are neighbors! Working for Stone Soup, I have the privilege to not only read your incredible work but listen to it too, as I spend my time editing the writing workshops as well as the author interviews.

As somebody who found writing late in life, the passion you have for writing at such young ages is an inspiration to me. Oftentimes, after listening to you read your work, I can’t help but start writing myself. It’s contagious! So, thank you, and know that by choosing the creative path, you are able to bring so much joy into the world. Truly, you give me more hope for the future.

This week I wanted to spotlight two submissions in the January issue. Sloka Ganne’s piece, Spring, is a stunning, vibrant image of the moon shining through what I believe to be a cherry blossom. The painting is reminiscent of Tim Burton’s work, but the artist’s original touch transcends comparison. Gazing at this painting, it is easy to get lost in the allure of the shining moon and the mystery of the tree’s curling branches.

While Sloka’s painting offers a brighter look at the moon, Alex Cole’s poem “The Moon” elicits something more dark and brooding. The poem is short and to the point, and yet it lingers. It reminds me of Bashō’s poem “In Kyoto . . . ”:

In Kyoto,
hearing the cuckoo,
I long for Kyoto.

I find that both poems offer up contradictions, and within these contradictions there is a haunting sense of longing. Both poems, along with Sloka’s painting, will stick with me for a while.

My best to you all,

Highlights from the past week online

Don't miss the latest content from our Book Reviewers and Young Bloggers at Stonesoup.com!

Lydia wrote a post about how 2020 was an incredibly difficult year, but she saw some silver linings to it. Read her thoughts here.

Trina, 8, wrote a poem about a duel between two bugs: the virus and the Learning Bug.

Read some selections from our first Writing Workshop of 2021, where students wrote about chance.

Alex Cole
Alex Cole, 10
Mansfield, TX

From Stone Soup
January 2021

The Moon

By Alex Cole, 10 (Mansfield, TX)

The moon, cold as ice
Glows beautifully in the darkness
Abandoned by all

Read more work from this issue.

Stone Soup is published by Children’s Art Foundation-Stone Soup Inc., a 501(c)(3) educational nonprofit organization registered
in the United States of America, EIN: 23-7317498.

Stone Soup's Advisors: Abby Austin, Mike Axelrod, Annabelle Baird, Jem Burch, Evelyn Chen, Juliet Fraser, Zoe Hall, Montanna Harling, Alicia & Joe Havilland, Lara Katz, Rebecca Kilroy, Christine Leishman, Julie Minnis, Jessica Opolko, Tara Prakash, Denise Prata, Logan Roberts, Emily Tarco, Rebecca Ramos Velasquez, Susan Wilky.