Stone Soup author Isabel Folger, 12, talks about how she lets a story gestate in her mind for a couple of weeks before she starts writing. Isabel had four stories published in Stone Soup: “A Fortunate Soul” (January/February 2013), “A Special Present” (November/December 2013), “Hope” (January/February 2014), and “Believing” (July/August 2014). She also wrote a review of the book Counting by Sevens (November/December 2014).

Here’s a list of the questions she answers in this video.

0:22 — How did you begin creative writing?

0:35 — Have you won any awards for your writing?

0:48 — What was your reaction to getting published in Stone Soup?

1:52 — What advice would you give to others who want to get published in Stone Soup?

2:15 — Describe your writing process.

3:40 — What do you want to be when you grow up?

4:14 — How has being published in Stone Soup benefited you?

About the Author

In 1973, I was twenty years old, teaching children's art classes at my college, the University of California, Santa Cruz, and came up with the idea that the best way to encourage children to write was to introduce them to the best writing by their peers. Stone Soup grew out of that idea, and I have continued to publish Stone Soup for all these years.
I am also a culinary historian. I write about traditional foodways. My book, "The Magic of Fire," is about hearth cooking. My book, "Bread, a global history," speaks for itself. I am currently writing a bread history for a University Press. I publish articles on gardening and traditional foodways at Mother Earth News. I also publish on wild mushrooms and other food-related subjects.