World Peace, Piano Music by Rik Bhattacharyya, 12

Featured Post, Music, Young Composers  /   /  By William Rubel
November 2018

Rik Bhattacharyya, who is twelve, in 2017 wrote this piano piece in response to some of the turmoil taking place in the world today. This is his thinking behind the piece:

Currently our world is going through a lot of turmoil. Whether it is about missile testing in North Korea or terrorist attacks in France, we have all heard about these problems between nations, religions, ethnicity, etc. In my composition there are parts where there are minor chords making the whole song seem sad. However, sooner or later the violence stops (denoted by the major chords and arpeggios) and the world is happy again.

About the Author

In 1973, I was twenty years old, teaching children's art classes at my college, the University of California, Santa Cruz, and came up with the idea that the best way to encourage children to write was to introduce them to the best writing by their peers. Stone Soup grew out of that idea, and I have continued to publish Stone Soup for all these years.
I am also a culinary historian. I write about traditional foodways. My book, "The Magic of Fire," is about hearth cooking. My book, "Bread, a global history," speaks for itself. I am currently writing a bread history for a University Press. I publish articles on gardening and traditional foodways at Mother Earth News. I also publish on wild mushrooms and other food-related subjects.