Edward's Treasure lounging in the lawn
"Heather, come here, quick! I found something!"`

Illustrator Zoe Paschkis, 12 for Edward's Treasure by Emily Taylor, 11. Published July/August 2000.

For the adults: thank you for reading and sharing our free weekly Newsletter

We are very happy that so many of you read and enjoy our newsletter every week. As a 501(c)(3) educational non-profit it is our mission to inspire as many kids as we can to read, write, paint, draw, and build all kinds of creativity into their lives and their learning. Our free weekly newsletter is a big part of how we do that.

All of our work is funded through subscriptions and donations. We depend on both. If you don't have a subscription to StoneSoup.com (or even if you do!), please consider making a donation, however small, as a one-off or a regular commitment, to the Children's Art Foundation-Stone Soup Inc. This year, we had to stop compensating contributors. Our current goal is to get to a place where we are once again able to pay our young writers and artists. Every dollar helps us to continue and expand what we do, and to continue to inspire and stimulate the kids you care about.

Thank you

William Rubel (President),      Emma Wood (Editor),      Jane Levi (Operations)

Donate to Stone Soup

A note from William Rubel

Blogs and Book Reviews

We are very happy with the quality of book reviews being published at our website. We are also very happy with the work being produced by our young bloggers. It's great to see how productive both groups are being over the summer, too. Thank you! Keep up the great work! And readers, keep reading and commenting! You can get straight to both categories of material by clicking on the menu bar at the Stone Soup homepage.

The quality of the book reviews and blogs is on a par with what we are publishing the magazine. What is the difference? Stone Soup is a literary magazine focused on fiction, poetry, and art. We look to the blogs for a much wider range of genres, and for more book reviews than we can publish in the magazine. We only really have room for one book review (at most) per issue of Stone Soup, but our book-hungry readers encouraged us to publish more. We listened, and you now have an active book review section in the blog portion of the website, covering the latest books as well as new reviews of some of the classics we have missed in the past (see below for a link to the latest Harry Potter review, published this past week!).

There is always room for more. If any of you reading this newsletter would like to join us as a book reviewer or a blogger then go to the Submit link on our website and follow the instructions. Anyone age 13 and under is eligible to become one of our young bloggers or reviewers. If you are an adult and write about (or would like to write about) teaching the creative arts to kids then we also want to hear from you. As you see when you go to the blog landing page and scroll down to the lower part of the screen, we now have a section specifically for educators.

As of today, the whole blog section of the website can be read for free. We are, however, beginning the technical process of bringing the blogs and book reviews into the Stone Soup online gateway. In English, this means you will soon have to subscribe to Stone Soupto read the full range of blogs and book reviews. We will let you know when this is coming into effect.

Until next week

Read the latest updates on our blog

Don't miss the latest content from our Book Reviewers and Young Bloggers, published this week at stonesoup.com!

Young Bloggers

Hidden in Plain Sight, by Maia H and Juan H-C, confronts the issue of racism in a powerfully direct way, using graphic art as the medium.

Zoe's Summer Crumble, by Sarah Cymrot, brings alive the taste of summer and gives readers a great recipe to try—send us your pictures of your own crumble!

Luxi and Miola: The New Girl, by Hana Greenberg, is the latest installment in hre graphic novel series about two sisters. Catch up with earlier episodes on the blog, too.

Summer Journal 2018, by Abhi Sukhdial, shares the first two pages of the journal of his 10-week-long family visit to northern India. Be inspired to send us your summer journals, too!

Young Reviewers

Front Desk, by Kelly Yang, reviewed by Nina Vigil.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling, reviewed by Kaya Simcoe.

Edward's Treasure lounging in the lawn

From Stone Soup
July/August 2000

Edward's Treasure

By Emily Taylor, 11
Illustrated by Zoe Paschkis, 12

It was only a quick walk to Murphy’s Woods from Anjeli’s backyard where Heather and Anjeli had been enjoying the hot July day, so they soon reached the edge of the woods. Instinctively, Heather grabbed her friend’s hand as they stepped onto the dirt path that led through the woods.

It was considerably cooler under the shade of the tall oaks. The two girls kicked through the clumps of dark, damp leaves while chattering to each other. Soon, Heather forgot her first fears and joined Anjeli in skipping in between the trees and turning over the many rocks that lined their path.

“Anj, I bet I can do fifteen cartwheels in a row!”

“Let me see you try, girl!”

Heather proceeded to try, but on the seventh, she slammed hard into the trunk of two oaks that had grown together.

“Ow!”

“You OK, Heather?” asked her friend, hurrying to her side.

Heather pulled herself up on a branch of the tree mass. But before she could even dust the leaves off her shorts, Anjeli pushed her aside.

“Hey!” said Heather indignantly, from the ground.

“Oh my God…”

“What, Anj?”

“Heather, come here, quick! I found something!”

Heather scrambled to her feet. Slowly, Anjeli reached down into a tiny crevice under the tree and pulled out a package about the same size and shape as a book. It was wrapped in what looked like an old, yellowed newspaper.

“Oh my God, Anj, what should we do?” asked Heather with a note of panic in her already-trembling voice.

“I’m gonna open it.” .../more

Stone Soup's Advisors: Abby Austin, Mike Axelrod, Annabelle Baird, Jem Burch, Evelyn Chen, Juliet Fraser, Zoe Hall, Montanna Harling, Alicia & Joe Havilland, Lara Katz, Rebecca Kilroy, Christine Leishman, Julie Minnis, Jessica Opolko, Tara Prakash, Denise Prata, Logan Roberts, Emily Tarco, Rebecca Ramos Velasquez, Susan Wilky.