November issue published online today!

Newsletter  /   /  By Jane Levi
October 2018

Fall Keira Zhang

‘Fall’ by Keira Zhang

Free

Xexilya, a girl who can’t speak, forms an unusual bond with a mountain cat

Sea Creature

A mysterious jellyfish haunts Judy’s dreams

Plus: A Review of Margi Preus’s Heart of a Samurai

Letter from the Editor, November 2017

In the classic book Frankenstein, the monster isn’t actually named Frankenstein. Frankenstein is the doctor; the monster is never given a name. Throughout the novel, he’s alternately “the monster,” “the creature,” or, simply, “it.” But what is a creature, exactly? The word (which, like most words, came to us through Latin), means “a thing created,” but we tend to use it to refer solely to animals—even though us humans are also created, by our parents and perhaps by a greater being beyond them.

In this issue, I found myself collecting stories, poems, and images about creatures—birds, butterflies, mountain cats, and jellyfish.And, in the process, I realized that we seem to turn to animals in our deepest, darkest moments, when we are contemplating the loss of someone we loved very much or wondering what our purpose is.

This is an issue to match the season, with its short days and long, black nights.

— Emma Wood

Log in now at stonesoup.com to read your November issue!

We are thrilled to share the November 2017 issue with all of you, our subscribers. Log into your account now to read all the stories, poems and reviews published this month, and enjoy some stunning art from our contributors. Remember, you can also download a PDF copy to print at home or upload to your offline device; or download our app and sign in to read it there.

If you need any help getting access to the full range of material in this month’s issue, contact us at subscriptions@stonesoup.com and we’ll be able to help you get signed in.

About the Author

Jane has been working with Stone Soup since 2016 on variety of different things--including running the Stone Soup Test Kitchen! She is a writer, researcher and consultant.