Writers are readers. The purpose of the Young Adult Author Resource Pages is to bring young writers closer to their favorite authors. Through social media and recorded interviews many authors offer fabulous advice on writing that are useful for writers of all ages. If you are a teacher, you can use the interviews in your classroom in the context of your creative writing curriculum.

If the author is one of your favorites and you would like to share something about why you like that author’s books, please leave a comment.

Lukas Cooke, our young blogger interested in nature and the environment, recently had the opportunity to read one of Patricia Newman’s books, Plastic Ahoy!:...

Compilation Video Length: 8:53 This is a video of an event celebrating the 50th anniversary of the the publication of  “A Wrinkle in Time.” Children, as well as...

This interview inspires two projects: write a story based on a photograph and illustrate a story with photographs. This is a great interview byRansom Riggs. He...

Interview length: 6:22. This is a wonderful interview. Its biggest strength may be Wendelin Van Draanen’s discussion of the importance of persistence. Her own...

Run time 4;25 A strong interview with Renée Ahdieh. The interview focus is on her writing process. • Writes books based on the theme of “choice and...

Sarah Kay (born 1988) is an American poet who began performing poetry at age 14. Sarah Kay specializes in spoken-word poetry. The performance aspect of her...

Interview length: 3:37 Interviews This is a strong interview by Kate Messner for her book, Writing is Magic, or is it?  Her message is simple and...

Author of “A Wrinkle in Time”. . Madeleine l’Engle. Many authors talk about the precision with which they plot out their books, taking pride in being in full...

Reading is one of the best preparations for writing. We are fortunate that through the internet it is possible to keep in touch with living authors through...

About the Author

In 1973, I was twenty years old, teaching children's art classes at my college, the University of California, Santa Cruz, and came up with the idea that the best way to encourage children to write was to introduce them to the best writing by their peers. Stone Soup grew out of that idea, and I have continued to publish Stone Soup for all these years.
I am also a culinary historian. I write about traditional foodways. My book, "The Magic of Fire," is about hearth cooking. My book, "Bread, a global history," speaks for itself. I am currently writing a bread history for a University Press. I publish articles on gardening and traditional foodways at Mother Earth News. I also publish on wild mushrooms and other food-related subjects.